The Ljósifoss Hydropower Station, the oldest power station in the Sog power station network, began producing power for the city of Reykjavik in 1937. The new electricity supply quickly replaced the use of coal for various domestic purposes. Geothermal domestic heating was also introduced during this period.
The Ljósifoss Hydropower Station was the first of three stations to utilise power from the Sog River. The station was designed by architect Sigurður Guðmundsson in the Funkis style (the Nordic version of functionalist architecture) and Ásmundur Sveinsson created the artwork. The station hosts a state-of-the-art interactive exhibition.